Recent Water Damage Posts
Tips for homeowners
Busted pipe can cause water damage through out your home.
If you suffer water damage at your home or business it is important to attempt to mitigate the damage until a professional restoration company can take over. Your insurance company expects for you to be pro active while waiting on SERVPRO to arrive.
The following are some useful tips and tricks that will show your insurance company that you are working to minimize the damage.
- Turn off the water supply
- Call a plumber if necessary
- If the water is clean (not sewage) shop vac or towel up the standing water
- Place some fans out to create air flow
- Elevate your furniture out of the water
- Create a list of damaged belongings
- Take lots of photos
Just doing these steps will insure that you are trying to help.
Call SERVPRO of E. Jackson/SE Ingham Counties at 517-782-8533
Prevent Spring Water Damage with These Tips
Don't let the rain put a damper on your spring.
After a cold, long winter, we're all excited for spring and the sunny days of summer in Mid Michigan!
However, warm weather does bring spring Showers. There are a few things we can do to Prevent potential of water damage. Taking time to check the following maintenance areas you will lessen your chance of water damage to your home.
1. Cleaning your gutters and making sure they are in good repair goes a long way in preventing water intrusion in your home.
2. Each spring, SERVPRO receives many calls about water damage caused by outdoor spigots that are turned on. If you turn them off and drain the water supply to your outdoor spigots in the winter, you can have a damaged pipe due to the heavy freeze. When you turn your spigot on, make sure there are no leaks. If there are leaks, turn off the spigot immediately before any damage occurs and have your pipe repaired.
3. Spring is a good time to inspect your roof. Ice damming is common in the winter months and can damage your shingles, flashing, eves and overhangs.
4. Check that your landscaping slopes away from your home. If it slopes towards your home, so will the water from the spring storms.
5. Outdoor drains can get clogged with debris and leaves, so make sure they are free of debris and draining properly.
6. Your sump pump will work overtime, so make sure it's working properly . If it's old, this would be a good time to replace it before it fails.
Enjoy the warm weather. If you do experience an unexpected water damage call SERVPRO of E. Jackson/SE Ingham Counties at 517-782-8533
Ice Dam on roof
An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents melting snow (water) from draining off the roof. The water that backs up behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation, and other areas.
Ice buildup on your roof can cause significant damage to your home. ... Ice dams are usually caused by poor ventilation in your attic. The warmer attic air melts the snow on your roof and the melting snow runs down your roof and under areas such as gutters before it is re-frozen by the colder outside air.
If you experience damage to the interior of your home, call your insurance company. Then call SERVPRO of E. Jackson/SE Ingham Counties. Once the ice has been removed, we can determine where there is moisture inside and get that dried.
Faster to Your Jackson Water Damage
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of E. Jackson & S.E. Ingham Co. provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of E. Jackson & S.E. Ingham Co. arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –(517) 782-8533
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of [[Franchise Name]]
SERVPRO of E. Jackson & S.E. Ingham Co. specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of E. Jackson & S.E. Ingham County is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of East Jackson & S.E. Ingham County
SERVPRO of E. Jackson & S. E. Ingham County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
This is part of the drying process for the customer that had the washer over flow in their home.
Water is very intrusive. Water left on at an outside spigot can quickly penetrate your foundation. Left on at a bathroom or kitchen sink can be catastrophic.
Recently we were called out to a home where the washer overflowed in a laundry room on the first floor, trapping water between the main level flooring and finished basement ceiling. The home was recently remodeled and the homeowner was afraid that the carpet may not be salvageable.
We were able to remove the ceiling in the basement to release the trapped water. We set equipment to dry the ceiling, floor joists and "floated" the carpet by placing air movers underneath.
Here at SERVPRO of E. Jackson & S.E. Ingham Co., we listen to your concerns, and understand what is most important to you.
A basement can flood at anytime, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. During the spring months, rainfall is likely to happen and can be heavy at times.
This is a good time of year to clean out guttters & downspouts, clear debris from storms drains and add dehumidification to damp basements.
If water damage is not handeled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to your homes structure, not to mention the potential harmful health affects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem could become.
Here at SERVPRO of E. Jackson & S.E. Ingham Co., we are flooded basement specialists:
- We are available 24/7
- We are a preferred vendor to many local & national insurance companies
- Our technicians are highly trained in water restoration techniques
- We have advanced inspection & extraction equipment
- We abide by the S500 IICRC restoration standards
If water damage, from the smallest overflow from a toilet to full house flood from a pipe burst, threatens your home or office call us at (517) 782-8533. We are here to help and care for not only your home or office, but for you as an individual. We are a family owned business and know that each job is not simply a job, but is someone allowing us to come into their lives during a very stressful event. Our ultimate goal is to help make it a little less stressful on you.