The heart of the home is the kitchen, so it is no surprise that cooking fires are one of the most common types of home fires. Kitchen fires typically happen when the stove is left unattented, this can occur any time of the year. If a fire starts in a pot or pan on the stove, these are things to remember:
-EVALUATE YOUR SAFETY. If the fire is large and spreading, quickly assemble your family outside and call for emergency services. Your families safety is more important than the safety of your home.
-NEVER USE WATER. Water should never be used to try to extinguish a grease fire. This can result in an explosive reaction that can cause the fire to quickly spread throughout the home.
-TURN OFF THE STOVE. Heat is needed to keep the grease alive.
-BAKING SODA. Throw a good amount of baking soda to cut off the oxygen supply. Do not use flour or other baking materials as this will only add to the fire.
-KEEP A LID NEARBY. Snuff the fire with a lid to the pot or pan. Turning off the stove at the same will take away the heat and oxygen needed to sustain the fire.
Most fires can be prevented by never leaving food cooking unattended.