Prevent Spring Water Damage with These Tips
After a cold, long winter, we're all excited for spring and the sunny days of summer in Mid Michigan!
However, warm weather does bring spring Showers. There are a few things we can do to Prevent potential of water damage. Taking time to check the following maintenance areas you will lessen your chance of water damage to your home.
1. Cleaning your gutters and making sure they are in good repair goes a long way in preventing water intrusion in your home.
2. Each spring, SERVPRO receives many calls about water damage caused by outdoor spigots that are turned on. If you turn them off and drain the water supply to your outdoor spigots in the winter, you can have a damaged pipe due to the heavy freeze. When you turn your spigot on, make sure there are no leaks. If there are leaks, turn off the spigot immediately before any damage occurs and have your pipe repaired.
3. Spring is a good time to inspect your roof. Ice damming is common in the winter months and can damage your shingles, flashing, eves and overhangs.
4. Check that your landscaping slopes away from your home. If it slopes towards your home, so will the water from the spring storms.
5. Outdoor drains can get clogged with debris and leaves, so make sure they are free of debris and draining properly.
6. Your sump pump will work overtime, so make sure it's working properly . If it's old, this would be a good time to replace it before it fails.
Enjoy the warm weather. If you do experience an unexpected water damage call SERVPRO of E. Jackson/SE Ingham Counties at 517-782-8533